Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Kitchen Samrat

Kitchen Samrat are persistent, if nothing else.  I get a new menu in my letterbox about every week, it seems!  Happily, they are more than just good at letterboxing.  They do great North Indian food at insanely low prices.  Curries are $7/$8 and you get a choice of rice or two naan included for free.  We ordered everyone's fave, Butter Chicken, as well as Karahi Paneer (cheese cooked in a creamy sauce), two samosas, Hara Bhara Naan (stuffed with cheese, spinach and parsley), raita, two chutneys and pickle.  All of that for $28, delivered!!

 

I've heard Kitchen Samrat's curries criticised for having too much gravy and not enough meat, but I love the fact they are really saucy.  (And yeah, I know I just gave you a lecture about 'curries' and too much sauce, but just like I love proper Cantonese food, sometimes only a steamed dimmie in a paper bag will do!)  They have some unusual touches, like mini chick-pea puffs in the raita to add an interesting texture.  The times I've eaten in, I've been given a complimentary appetiser, a little glass of spicy tamarind water.  They are super-friendly and they are becoming more widely known - I'm glad their persistence is paying off!

Kitchen Samrat, 36 Leeds St, Footscray (between Paisley and Hopkins)

Kitchen Samrat on Urbanspoon

12 comments:

  1. Okay I'm coming over there when I'm hungover on Saturday and ordering that lot for my lunch, thankyaverymuch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh..this is getting me in the mood for some butter chicken. I'm addicted to Red Pepper (bourke st, CBD. Very clean and cheap. They give free lassi sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lizard - even though I won't be hungover I must join you! Research purposes, of course!!

    Adrian - Red Pepper looks great! Will definitely check them out next time I'm in town. Normally I go to Flora in Flinders St for their magnificent dosas but always happy to switch it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jodes - thank you so much for the support! I really hope you enjoyed Kitchen Samrat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This place was a really great food spot in footscray, great meals excellent service and a great price. Highly recomemnded

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely the cheapest Indian restaurant in Footscray. Very good food, too.
    Recommended entree: Samosa chaat
    Recommended main: Punjabi curry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi both anons - to be honest, I have been a bit obsessed with Indi Hots in Hopkins St to have been back to Kitchen Samrat. Just love Indi Hots' friendly service and they have an ever-changing selection of interesting daily offerings. Had fantastic onion pakora yesterday as well as the goat curry, which is always delicious. I have had Kitchen Samrat's samosa chaat though, and it is unreal! I do love it when you go to Kitchen Samrat and they say, "Mild, medium, or hot?" If you say hot, they will then ask "Hot or extra hot?" It's like to have to say "hot" to get access to the secret "extra hot" level. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tamarind drink is sublime, marvellous, tangy. I want some - RIGHT NOW! I like the chick pea curry served with either deep-fried puris or naan, with slivers of vinegary onion on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Lauren, that's one of my fave local Indian takeaways! I love the goat curry and their garlic naan is to die for! it's a struggle to try and keep some leftovers for a workday lunch the next day, usually it's a very full belly in bed that night.... Lizard! You'll have to come over sometime!!! xxA

    ReplyDelete
  10. Platypus, that is great! I just got their new menu yesterday and can't wait to try the Bombay bel puri.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ate their recently ... for the second time. Had a lamb biryani after a few wines and it was the only shop open at the time (bless them). Good food in my opinion, at a very reasonable price and very friendly staff. The latter is something that I really enjoy, great food is soured by unfriendly staff IMO. So my advice, check them out but don't embarrass yourself like I did and ask for beef...gawd...twice I've done that...I should know better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thomas, don't beat yourself up - if you don't know if the establishment is Hindu or Muslim owned, it's hard to know if ordering beef is not the thing to do, if that makes sense! Glad to hear the food hit the spot. I'll have to revisit as not been for ages!

      Delete

I love getting your comments! They're what make blogging worthwhile. Unfortunately, the amount of spam I get is obscene and it is so tiresome to have to moderate every comment, so I have had to turn on annoying word verification. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but please know how much I love you having your say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails