Monday, March 26, 2012

Donwoori

Korean BBQ is heaps of fun.  If you are one half of a couple where you regularly lament "but my partner eats nothing but meat and bread", I promise you that Korean BBQ is the way to break that cycle.  Who can resist all that smoky, Maillard-reaction deliciousness occurring before your very eyes and most importantly, nostrils?  And so it's rice, not bread.  Meh, who cares!!

P1030782

Donwoori is the newest in the string of Korean BBQ joints in West Melbourne, although when I say newest, it's been there for about four or five years.  It's quite tiny inside, with handsome young men doing a delicate dance with enormous pots of white-hot charcoal.  I love all the wood here, like at Wooga right nearby - it gives it such a cosy feeling.

P1030784

The cosiness gives a convivial atmosphere, helped by the delightful young Korean waiters.  Grab a Hite Korean beer and maybe some soju, sake-like Korean rice wine.  I think it tastes like metho but Mr Baklover loves it!  Traditionally in Korea it is rude to pour your own drink, so your dining partner should pour yours, making sure they place their alternate hand on the forearm of the pouring arm.  The closer to the elbow you place this hand, the greater the status of the person you are pouring for.  There are a whole lot of other customs about who drinks first, who lights whose cigarette and so on.

P1030792

You can pick and choose your meats but the banquet sets are easiest.  Little bowls of kim chi and other pickled side dishes arrive first for beery nibbling.  Often you will get lettuce to wrap your grilled meat in, but here we got an emerald bowl of shredded spring onion with sweet bean sauce.  I think it was for eating with the meat but we ate most of it beforehand, it was so yummy!

P1030797

Butterflied beef rib, unfurled like a pennant.  The banquet ($39 for two) also had topside beef (no pic, too busy gorging) and...

P1030818

...marinated flank steak.  The meat sizzles away merrily over the hot charcoal and depending on the establishment, will be turned and taken off for you.  I find it hard to wait though!  There are sauces for dipping, a sweetened bean sauce and sesame oil with garlic, and tender short grain rice.

P1030803

Also part of our set was this soybean paste stew, which was gorgeous, like a warm hug from the inside.  It had juicy tofu and seductively soft cubes of potato and zucchini as well as petals of cooked beef, all in a smooth soybean broth.

pancake
Seafood pancake, $12

Looooved this Korean pancake.  Sometimes called Korean pizza, they are crispy, usually thin pancakes filled with all manner of tender seafood and just-cooked veg.

I really enjoyed Donwoori, although IIRC I think the meat was a little tastier at Wooga next door.  (Also much love for Hwaro in the city which I will write about one day.)  Donwoori is a firm favourite of Melbourne bloggers Agnes and Thanh.  Get that stick-in-the-mud partner down there and get stuck in.

Donwoori on Urbanspoon

Donwoori
276 Victoria Street, West Melbourne



View Footscrayfoodblog reviews in a larger map

10 comments:

  1. Ha! That stick-in-the-mud partner might be mine, who is a keen lover of seemingly ALL food except Korean. And it's not even that he doesn't like it, but that he prefers others more.

    No rules against going stag though right? The pancake looks too good to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely no problem with a solo mission! The pancake was excellent - wonder if they'd let you have the soup by itself, as that would be a lovely lunch.

      Delete
  2. I might be blind but what are the opening hours? Is it open for lunch? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, you caught me! I saw I didn't put them on when I went to publish it and thought "she'll be right". I don't know if they even have a phone... I think nights only at this stage but next time I drive by, I'll have a squiz.

      Delete
  3. I love how you get to cook for yourself with Korean BBQ - so much fun and makes it a really social experience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great isn't it. I know the cooking for yourself part is what others don't like, but I like it - besides, all the hard part (chopping, marinating etc) is already done!

      Delete
  4. I love Hite beer! Any beer that has a toothpaste tube-esque label is a winner in my book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How good is it, and I love the little cold-activated love heart "drink now!" symbol.

      Delete
  5. hey what time does it open?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - I'm not sure! Sorry, I really stink at remembering to get hours. Normally I'd say just call 'em but I know for a fact Donwoori have no phone! I'd say anytime from 6pm is safe.

      Delete

I love getting your comments! They're what make blogging worthwhile. Unfortunately, the amount of spam I get is obscene and it is so tiresome to have to moderate every comment, so I have had to turn on annoying word verification. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but please know how much I love you having your say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails