Thursday, December 4, 2014

Deli 4 You, Maribyrnong

P1130271

Edgewater?  Edge of the earth, as far as I'm concerned.  I think I got lost there pushing a pram once and have never been back.  So when a hot tip arrived for a brilliant Polish deli tucked away in the estate, I approached it with both trepidation and delight.

P1130258

There was no-one in there when I arrived, which allowed me to go completely photo crazy, unfettered by shopkeepers' raised eyebrows or curious glances.

P1130259

You know, I really love that show "American Pickers" where two blokes roam the backroads of small-town USA, rummaging through hoarders' collections for antiques or other hidden treasures.  I got the same feeling at Deli 4 You.  Here we have an enormous tray of goodies from Erik's Polish bakery in Braybook, including freshly baked plum jam-filled donuts!

P1130260

Also from Erik's, all manner of babkas and kugelhopfs in all their unpronounceable glory...

P1130263

...real European-style rye bread from "Baker in the Rye" in Elsternwick...

P1130261

...and link upon meaty link of every conceivable type of Polish sausage.

P1130266

Completely prepared to forget that chorizo is as Polish as pina coladas, given how good this stuff looks.

P1130267

In the fridge, there are those dips they have at Sims, plus kefir (a fermented milk drink), quark and other Polish-style soft cheeses.

P1130268

Plus a great selection of pierogi dumplings, which I would have raided the entire freezer of, if not held back by their quite high prices ($9 for about 10, and more for the Ola's brand on the top shelf).

P1130264

There are also all the usual pickles, UHT borscht and Polish teas, but also a small range of spices from Gewurzhaus in Carlton and other nice Christmas hamper-worthy things.

P1130273

Eventually the owner arrived to ring up my goodies.  I went with a pineapple kugelhopf which if I remember correctly was about $7.  Ridiculous!  All birthday cakes shall henceforth come exclusively from Deli 4 U.

P1130279

Both it and the plum jam donut were completely off the hook - so moist and tasty!

IMG_20141026_125721

I have a bad habit of buying things like pickles and relishes at farmers' markets which then proceed to moulder untouched at the back of the fridge.  The owner was so nice and let me try this pickled carrot which was awesome not just for its spicy, vinegary flavour, but for the fact it is made by "Russians in Bentleigh" (according to the owner).  This stuff was crack.  It was all gone in about three days.  It's not cheap but I highly, highly recommend it!

Not pictured are the very delicious Krysia's brand pierogi, made in Sunbury, Vic, which were all consumed with gusto by Mr Baklover.  I tried to hide them under the fish fingers but his Central European instincts sniffed them out like a truffle hound.

P1130269

I guess the only thing I'm slightly hesitant to buy is the meats, as I just can't understand how somewhere so well-concealed can have significant turnover.  But I am ready to be proven delightfully wrong on that point!

Thank you Monique for the great tip!

Deli 4 You
55 Cumberland Drive, Maribyrnong
Phone: 9318 6669
Open daily 7am - 7pm (but check that as I'm not sure I'm recalling it correctly!)

7 comments:

  1. I think I will be putting on some significant weight soon. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that they have Myrtleford butter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a great tip regarding Polish deli. I have arrived in Australia 6 weeks ago and starting to feel a bit homefoodsick :) Do you know any Polish places worth visiting? Have you come across any Polish cafes maybe? Would love some instructions on how to find them:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Magdalena! Welcome to Australia :) Sure, I know a few great Polish places! You should check out the Polish Club which is just up the road in Albion. Here's an old review of mine but I doubt it has changed much since then! Their pierogi are amazing (at least to this Aussie!)

      http://footscrayfoodblog.blogspot.com.au/2011/02/polish-club.html

      There's another little Polish place that I wrote about for The Age newspaper and haven't got around to revisiting for the blog - but maybe this is my cue! Check it out under "Polish":

      http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/eat-out/five-of-a-kind-eastern-european-20140423-3748g.html

      There's also these guys, a deli and cake shop in Sunshine, but I did hear they might have closed down or be soon to? Perhaps give them a call:

      http://www.yellowpages.com.au/vic/sunshine/roli-poli-cream-cake-shop-delicatessen-11992404-listing.html

      Good luck and I hope you find some winners!

      Delete
  4. Hi there,
    I shop at that Deli and I think that they have some of the best meats in Melbourne, also the cakes are fantastic and the plum jam doughnuts are awesome.
    If you are looking for some polish places, Borsch Vodka and Tears is a great venue in chapel street, defientely polish flavour, agnieszka and andrzej have some of the best vodka selctions I have seen, maybe will rival palces in poalnd, also cool atmosphere , popular with artists,
    apart form that andrzej newer venue After the Tears in Elsternwick, great food atmosphere and plenty of drinks, next to the cinema, both palces have been busy since they opened, good luck
    Robert

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments! They're what make blogging worthwhile. Unfortunately, the amount of spam I get is obscene and it is so tiresome to have to moderate every comment, so I have had to turn on annoying word verification. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but please know how much I love you having your say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails