Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A fresh look at Sims Supermarket

P1050831

"West Footscray has jumped the shark," or so I saw on Twitter when it was discovered that Sims, our local independent supermarket, is now home to a coffee machine.  My opinion?  I think it's genius!

P1050836

This is a satellite, if you like, of West 48 in Essex Street, so you can expect lovely Allpress brews through a La Marzocco.  Jag and Steffan built the cart themselves.  Traditional Sicilian bickies are care of North Melbourne's Dolcetti, with a few Dench salted caramel tarts if you are feeling indulgent.  Takeaway only, with KeepCups to purchase.  (PS:  Sims are now stocking Bonsoy.)

P1050849

When I first moved here, Sims still had the old-school registers that emitted a skinny paper strip for a receipt instead of the snappy laser-printed ones everyone else was doing.  If a coffee machine here is not a giant neon sign in the story the inner west's evolution, I don't know what is.  But in fact, Sims has been evolving for a long time.  I wanted to find out more behind the decision to serve lattes next to the Tatts counter so I got in touch with David Cotter, the co-owner/director of Sims, to find out more.

P1050765

If you're not a WeFo local, Sims is a completely independent supermarket with two branches in West Footscray and Werribee.  What you might not know is that it's been around since the 1930s, including at the same Barkly Street/Warleigh Road corner.

P1050762

Check out inside, with jaunty wicker baskets instead of shopping trolleys!  The Sims family are still involved in the supermarket - that's three generations of the same family until present day.

David's been a partner for 21 years.  He's vivacious, enthusiastic and speaks a mile a minute, and is genuinely keen to please his customers.  He can sense the changes happening in the area.  "For 20 years I couldn't sell nappies here," he says.  Now they unload pallet after pallet.  "We used to sell one box a week of free range eggs," he says.  "Now we sell twenty!"

P1050775

One new initiative of David's is fresh seafood.  Local flake, fresh (not frozen) Tasmanian salmon and more come in daily from a local western suburbs supplier.  Check it out next to the tub of baccala - traditional Italian salted fish.

P1050815

Sims have tried to introduce free range chicken a couple of times over the last few years, but it hasn't taken.  Now suddenly some sort of tipping point has been reached and it's apparently viable for the first time ever.  James, the butcher, reports that free range Otway pork will be coming back very soon as well.

P1050814

The Sims meat department is awesome - from lamb shanks to lamb brains, and everything in between!  I love this continuing connection to the older generation who are the main buyers of this range.

P1050823

David's trying to increase the range in the fruit and veg section and make the layout more like a market. I'm digging the yellow wax beans, broad beans...

P1050852

...and loads of different potatoes.  I have to say I've been disappointed with the fruit and veg at Sims in the past, but this looks super inviting and delicious.

P1050826

When asked about organics, David says, "We could do it but we wouldn't do it well.  Go to that little place in Seddon - Pompello, I think it's called.  Why hurt his business?"

Um, legendary attitude or what?

P1050811

This is Irma who runs the deli.  She manages all the buying and does so through her own network of small-scale manufacturers and suppliers - no buying from a warehouse or wholesale aggregator here.  I'm already a Sims deli believer but wanted to discover some of Irma's own personal favourites.

P1050778

Italian prosciutto, calabrese salami and more, all sliced to order.  (You're welcome to ask to taste anything.)  Irma suggests trying the Ventricina for something different.  It's a salami that's a little bit spicy and lovely to eat on its own.  PS:  Free range ham, which made a brief appearance in the last couple of months, will be back soon and hopefully to stay.

P1050804

This little-known cheese is fresh ricotta that's been salted and pressed so that instead of being soft and wobbly, it's hard and crumbly.  Try it instead of Parmesan - the taste and texture is halfway between Parmesan and feta.  Irma recommends making a very simple sauce of tomato and onion for pasta, grating loads of ricotta salata over and tossing through.  Yum.

P1050806

Next time you're reaching for the triple cream brie, Irma recommend you try the Fontina instead.  It's a lovely, mild table cheese that also melts well.

P1050781

Another deli hot tip is the range of roast meats, from chickens to pork hocks to gorgeous, mahogany-coloured turkey marylands.  Sims also sell quivering hunks of roast pork neck, of which you can have as little as one (warm, juicy) slice.

P1050776

Halva is a love it or hate it deal, and I adore it.  It's a thick sweet made with sesame seed paste, almost like a fudge but with a slight graininess that reminds me of fibreglass.  I love the way it makes my tongue stick to the roof of my mouth....and right now you will either be nodding vigorously in agreement or furrowing your eyebrows in bewilderment!

P1050801

I also love Sims' fresh Turkish delight, rose and lemon pieces nestled in icing sugar (also try orange blossom Turkish delight from Pompello)...

nougat

...and check out this new super-soft, flavoured nougat!!!

P1050780

There are more sweets care of local Polish bakery Erik's - the vanilla slices come highly recommended, but only if you have a fresh shirt on hand for when you've finished trying to manoevre it between your jaws.  Nick's in Altona provide cannoli, rock cakes, rustic continental bread and more.

P1050851

A hot tip - a second bakery delivers "wood oven" bread on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, containing only flour, salt, water and yeast.  (You can also buy Sourdough Kitchen bread from Rocco's fruit shop, a little further down Barkly Village.)

P1050770

When I saw the new development going in behind Sims, I did really worry that our local supermarket might get bought out and become a big, sterile Coles.  It seems, though, that Sims is responsive and keen to continue evolving.  We are so lucky to have a truly independent grocer, one that has strong cultural roots but is also willing to adapt to the changing demographics.  And really, where else can you get a proper coffee, buy a jumbo jar of sauerkraut and groove in the aisles to Fleetwood Mac?  Only at Sims...and long may it stay that way!

511 Barkly Street, West Footscray
Hours:  Mon-Fri 7am-10pm, Sat-Sun 8am-10pm
Coffee cart open Mon-Sat 7am-4pm, Sun 8am-4pm

45 comments:

  1. Jumping the shark??? Rude!! I'd say the complete opposite!! I love Sims!! It reminds me of Piedmonte's. Everytime I go in there we're kicking ourselves that we're now on a sugar-free diet (well best we can) because the range of sweet things is amazing. And how good is that salted ricotta!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to say that I'm guilty of shopping at Coles out of sheer convenience, as it's a block away from me. But I didn't know that there was such an amazing deli at Sims. Going to get more organised and shop there more often, for sure! Thanks for the little tour of a post! Also, see you at the pic-a-nic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guilty of it too but honestly a big reason for me shopping at Coles was the availability of free range chicken and pork. If Sims starts getting Otway in regularly I may convert totally.

      Delete
    2. And yes, picnic! Looking forward to seeing you there!

      Delete
  3. Quite apart from the fact that it's a great independent supermarket, for the local neighbourhood kids, getting their first job at Sims is a rite of passage! Support the local businesses that support you. Also, get your fresh vegies from the little grocer in Barkley St, not Seddon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet Mina... That greengrocer has also improved in quality over the past few years.

      Delete
  4. Great post! The free-range pork and ham, should they reappear, will definitely be enough to get me on the bike from Footscray to visit Sims. Though the vanilla slices might actually be enough to do it... PS lovely comment about Pompello from the owner, good on him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I get it - I already get a vegie box so it's the meat that determines where I shop the most. Maybe we can hope for some free range bacon in the future!

      Delete
  5. The veggies and meat look so FRESH! Impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love sims and definitely seeing the changes, I avoid Coles and woollies at all cost so great to have this as our local and even better now you can get a coffee from the boys of w48!! Yay for an awesome place to live!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The other thing worth noting is that the Central West Coles is one of the crappiest in town, so you're not missing out if you choose Sims over them. Sims is very receptive to stocking stuff they don't have, if you ask. It's open when I want it to be, they have very good specials (they beat Coles quite often), and yes, the MUSIC is really one of my favourite parts about shopping there. Thanks for the post, it was great to learn more about them!

    ReplyDelete

  8. I'd love to see some more sophisticated lighting there now. And also employ some more chatty oldies with a bit of character. Some live music, a busker, a piano accordian, some more live tastings, some happening events, trestle table people and community events. Also put a community noticeboard on the outside too.

    The surprised looking deli lady says a lot about the way society is going today. She looks a bit 'why me?' Food people are the new celebs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked if I could take a pic of Irma and she said she didn't mind if it was long distance! We were talking about food tips, eg, different cheeses going in the Sims catalogue. Many of us are curious but just need a little push to try something new - tastings would be a great idea!

      Delete
  9. Love Sims, so hate to be a party pooper ... but it's a downer to see so much plastic, especially on things like the herbs. I know the big guys do it, too; just saying ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree Kenny - I don't like so much packaging either.

      Delete
  10. great post! PS anyone know the best way to request new products to stock at Sims? is there a form or do you just ask someone? i'd love to see some more vegan/vegetarian things on the shelves (Fry's schnitzels, smoked tofu, Blue Lotus tofu burgers, CoYo yoghurt etcetcetc!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I have just spoken to David, the director, and he says he would be more than happy for you to email him with requests. The address is dcotter@simsmarkette.com.au. CoYo would be brilliant!

      Delete
  11. Oh wow how awesome is this place!! Fresh, well stocked and amazing variety. I'd LOVE to come here one day too (since I work in the Western suburbs now). And didn't realise Sims has got so much history and been around for that long. Good on ya for getting in contact with David and then sharing this with us. I really never heard of Sims until now but definitely caught my attention =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post. This is my local supermarket, and I still didn't know the half of it. I guess I'm guilty of not trying enough new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, don't worry, I am too. That nougat though - it's out of control! The strawberry one has freeze-dried strawberries on top - SOOOO good.

      Delete
  13. i've never been but it looks great - love the old pictures of it! Reminds me of Altona Fresh but with the added bonus of meat and fish (which is why i don't shop at Altona Fresh more often)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post, as usual, and those old photos are brilliant. Despite being scared by the exterior of Sims when I moved nearby earlier this year, I became a convert as soon as I walked in and now I'm looking forward to having a closer look at lots of the things you mentioned when next I'm there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great news Susan! Nice blog btw, will have a good read later on!

      Delete
  15. Very cool a coffee machine, just what I need when shopping. A soy latte please! And gold start to them for using bonsoy! Thanks for the news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love how Bonsoy has gone from "in the know" only to the only soymilk any self-respecting cafe uses. It's delish!

      Delete
  16. Not sure that coriander at $3 a pop - and in the west too where it's available at 1/5 of that price - is overly inviting. I guess the high cost is to pay for all that plastic and polystyrene packaging. Still, I prefer locally-owned Sims to the the big boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belated reply anon... Yes, it's steep compared to 80 cents a bunch at Little Saigon but I'm sure the duopoly are charging $3 for a really measly amount. At least Sims' still has the roots on!

      Delete
  17. Just wanted to say a massive THANK YOU, for your blog.... I move into West Footscray in 2 weeks and I do believe this blog will be a life saver! As an expat in a new city, I really do appreciate all of your posts (esp Sims... my soon to be local supermarket!)
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big hearty welcome to the western suburbs Ali! I do hope you enjoy the blog and find some new favourites that you'll reminisce over in years to come. :-)

      Delete
  18. Have shopped at Sims for 12 years - I have always been underwhelmed by their fruit and veg. Hopefully this area of Sims will continue to improve. Love the coffee cart - great work! The music is always great, and it's always nice to see the same staff and say g'day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, F&V has been a low point. I think it might be on the improve though. The Otway pork is in - hoping it does all right!

      Delete
  19. The bargain DVD bin near the boxed doughnuts is amazing. Found a Rutger Hauer film called "Bleeders" for $2!!! By the way, having been born, raised, and now returned to Footscray, I can assure everyone that "Foot-scary" and "Foots-crazy" are both still relevant. The day that those terms are no longer relevant will be the day that Footscray has become over - gentrified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Gunther! Thanks for stopping by. I would argue that Foots-crazy is still relevant and long may it be so. Foot-scary, I want to confine to the dustbin. There are still too many people who openly express they are too "scared" to come to Footscray. I've had people cancel on me at the last minute because people have told them "horror stories" about Footscray, which seriously have no basis in my many days and nights walking in and from Footscray, or in the experiences of many others I've spoken to. Long may Footscray have its zaniness and its edge, but as for it being actually "scary" and frightening, I know it's certainly not that now. I've been volunteering on the Rickshaw Run and have seen much delightful craziness, from the old bloke having a boogie to the Japanese drummers right in front of all the giggling rickshaw visitors, to the shirtless fellow propositioning other rickshaw passengers with wilted flowers, glazed smile and saggy tum. All in good fun though and not scary. So 'scray forever, scary never!

      Delete
  20. Love SIMS! It's my local supermarket, there all the time. Love their music too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great, isn't it? I just checked out the new Footscray Coles yesterday and was reminded how much I love Sims. Yes, it doesn't have everything, but it has 95%. And so much personality too.

      Delete
  21. Replies
    1. I think I found the words for my first-ever tatt, Colum!

      Delete
  22. Technically Sims is in Footscray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite right, Joe - I don't know why I wrote West Footscray above as I do actually know that!

      Delete

I love getting your comments! They're what make blogging worthwhile. Unfortunately, the amount of spam I get is obscene and it is so tiresome to have to moderate every comment, so I have had to turn on annoying word verification. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but please know how much I love you having your say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails