Monday, October 29, 2012

Waffles in Footscray at Snow Tree

Is it a hairdresser?  Is it a chemist?  No - it's a cafe!!!

P1060132

Snow Tree is a totally awesome addition to Footscray.  Just opened in Leeds Street, this cute-as-a-button store serves six flavours of frozen yoghurt, waffles, espresso coffee and iced tea to the boppy strains of K-pop.

P1060128
Small frozen yoghurt, $4.50 and short black, $3.30

If you wept for Yoghurt House, weep no longer - Snow Tree serves frozen yoghurt in such varieties as mango, "fourberry" and our choice, pineapple and coconut.  Toppings (fresh fruit, M&Ms and more) are 50 cents each.  And I am thrilled to report that this short black was excellent, carefully extracted with no sugar required.  Great coffee and frozen yoghurt in Footscray - colour me happy!

P1060131
Snowtree Belgian waffle, $7.50

The lovely folks behind Snow Tree are Korean and there are a few unusual delicacies like bingsu (a "sundae" of red beans, ice, jelly and more, a bit like Korean ais kacang) and Korean rice and cinnamon drinks, as well as "pink lady" and "blue lady" iced tea.  We loved this house special, light-as-a-feather waffles with tasty, really fresh fruit, whipped cream and strawberry froyo.

P1060135

I am thrilled to the back teeth that such a unique little business has opened in the heart of Footscray.  And we *almost* have the late-night coffee shop we crave - they're open til 8 pm every night!

Snowtree  on Urbanspoon

Snow Tree
Shop 12/119 Hopkins Street, Footscray (entrance on Leeds Street)
Hours:  Daily 7.30am-8pm

PS:  A little something you may be interested in.  If you're not a hospo insider, the big names are: Peter Gunn of Attica, Anna Quayle of the Duchess of Spotswood, Lindsey Fush and Jeremy Shiell of the Royal Mail Hotel, Vanessa Mateus of Pope Joan, and James Kummrow, formerly of the Royal Mail and now of The Bank.  With such an impressive fixture, this will be a most delicious evening!  It's open to the hospitality industry and also the general public.



22 comments:

  1. I've been eagerly awaiting the opening of this little cafe. Let's hope it lasts longer than one summer. Poor yoghurt house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon they have a much better chance because it's much more cosy inside. Yoghurt House felt a bit cavernous at times. Still, I loved Yoghurt House's no-holds-barred toppings!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, my whole family wept when Yoghurt House closed...it was a shame it didn't develop.

    Snow Tree looks a little more manageable in size though, and reminds me of similar cafes in South Korea that are very popular. I am hooked on patbingsu...8pm close is just ok for a hot evening visit or two this summer to try their version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep Andrew, it's a much easier size to manage. About four tables were full when I went in and people were languidly sipping coffee and having a lovely old time... As I said above to Billy, Yoghurt House was so big inside and it didn't feel as linger-worthy.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this shop-front! Excited to try the inside too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay thanks for this! Froyo yum!

    - from the Anon who requested it. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! I had the Korean rice drink yesterday, it was out of control good! Sweet with lots of kind of well-cooked rice at the bottom and a syrupy texture. That doesn't sound all that appealing but it was SO refreshing.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you did a review on this! I went there yesterday and wanted to like it on Urbanspoon but it hadn't been added yet. I really hope that this place stays, as the lady that served me I think was the owner and she was really nice. We need more places like this in the West!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so thrilled to have such a unique business open up that's not bubble tea or a hairdresser. I have ANOTHER exciting newbie coming up tomorrow too!

      PS You can add them on Urbanspoon! I only haven't coz I'm lazy. You only need address and phone number and within a few days they will add it and you can git likin'!

      Delete
  6. Footscray need to have this kind of shop...
    Not just bubble cup ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish the frozen yoghurt was as good as yo-chi in balaclava but its no where near as good )): I really hope the owners of yo-chi open up a western suburbs branch soon. I tried the plain yoghurt at snow house and it had a funny aftertaste. Didn't taste like yoghurt and I was very disappointed. Will have to try some of their other menu items!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just re-read this in GRAM - deja vu

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad to have found your blog (via GRAM) and think it's awesome you write all about Footscray. I lived there a few years ago (a Canadian on the run) and while I'd never choose it, it turned out to be an amazing place. Looking forward to reading more as I imagine things have changed a lot in the past 4 or 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear Melanie! Stick around, I reckon there's more to come!

      Delete
  10. We have been several times decent coffee and the lunch special off Bibimbap is really tasty.

    A great addition to the Footscray cafe scene

    ReplyDelete
  11. The bibimbap I had here was probably the worst and most depressing I've ever had. People were lovely though just wish they had used kimchi in it and also the lack of banchan (side dishes) was also very disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They also have bulgogi beef rolls or burgers.

    Also a variety of bibimbap, such as salmon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, curious about these bibimbap - will try next time I get a Korean food craving in Footscray.

      Delete

I love getting your comments! They're what make blogging worthwhile. Unfortunately, the amount of spam I get is obscene and it is so tiresome to have to moderate every comment, so I have had to turn on annoying word verification. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but please know how much I love you having your say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails