Monday, February 9, 2009

Charles Pizza

We were at a BBQ all afternoon Sunday and due to decrepit Footscray Park BBQs didn't get our snag until 4.30pm! By 9pm we were hungry again and decided to go for pizza. Went for old fave Charles Pizza on Droop St, near the corner of Ballarat Rd (Footscray of course). I had Wendy's Special (hot salami, capsicum, olives) while Mr Baklover got Hawaiian. It was OK - the salami was so chewy though, if you bit into a piece you couldn't bite through it, you had to rip it with your hands if you wanted to distribute over two bites. The garlic bread wasn't the loaf type that is connected just along the bottom so you can rip it apart, it was single pieces, but I like the aforementioned sleazy sort!! We used to get pizza from here weekly and it was always a bit random, aside from the tough salami I do like their style with a good crust and not too much cheese. I just wish pizza was a "respected" foodstuff like it is in the USA, rather than just being "take-away" and made with as much care (or rather lack of) here in Australia.

Charles Pizza, 131 Droop St, Footscray (near cnr Ballarat Rd)

Charles Pizza on Urbanspoon

9 comments:

  1. Hey as a local I'd love to hear about and contribute stories of all the places to eat around here, are you continuing the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had pizza from here before and didn't like it at all, there was also some sort of creepy vibe going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely rubbish pizza there, but they do decent steaks! The creamy pepper sauce is fantastic..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha @ creepy vibe. Is because Charlie is always hanging around? Or the really bad decor? Haha!

    As a child my family would always order a seafood pizza on the way home from dinner at our relatives place in Footscray. I remember it being great but maybe it's because I was really hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wondered about that place.... looks so dodgy from the outside :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been for ages Neeno - I usually just get pizza from the new Eat Pizza at cnr Ballarat Road and Gordon Street.

      Delete
  6. im a regular here and the food has always been top notch. ever since I was little, my family has always chose this place as a favorite for their creamy mushroom steak. perfectly cooked in a vocanic rock therefore keeping your food hotter for longer. although their antipasto platter doesn't have much variety, I would still be a regular here for a very long time for their mushroom steak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon - me and my husband are fascinated with Charles Pizza's volcanic rock. We used to eat takeaway pizza every week (we never do now) and for a long time went to Charlies'. Mr Baklover would always come home and tell me how everyone was eating the steak on volcanic rock. I think we really have to try it one of theses days!

      Delete
    2. hey Lauren, I've also always been a regular at Charles pizza, and always dived into the mushroom steak on the volcanic rock. it has always been my favourite and will always be a favourite of mine! :) I love how it's cooked as how I like it (medium rare) and when it's on the volcanic rock, it keeps it hot while still having it perfectly cooked inside and out :) I also always loved the Charlie's special garlic bread, comes with chilli flakes, cheese and a piece of anchovy but it is lovely, cooked till crispy on the outside while the insides are still soft and spongy like how garlic bread should be :)

      Delete

I love getting your comments! They're what make blogging worthwhile. Unfortunately, the amount of spam I get is obscene and it is so tiresome to have to moderate every comment, so I have had to turn on annoying word verification. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but please know how much I love you having your say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails