Saturday, February 7, 2009

Yim Yam

Stopped here on the way to see Gran Torino at the Sun, which, incidentally, is the best film I have seen in a long time. So many currents of generational change in America, racial tension, the rust belt, all delivered with so much black humour. Yim Yam was really fantastic, service was OK (it was busy though). I had a Laotian whitebait salad which was just delicious, crunchy with roasted peanuts, sour, full of mint and red onion. Yum Yum. Also a sour, clear fish soup full of vegies, fish, prawns and squid. The prawns and squid were great but I am not a fan of fish pieces in soup, I think they go too mealy, and the veg were just OK. It would have been excellent with some rice noodles in it but instead I had to order some steamed rice that was a bit long in the tooth. The broth itself however was exceptional. Will definitely be back. Yarraville was pumping and it was so nice to see so many people out on the street enjoying the warm night.

Yim Yam, 40A Ballarat St, Yarraville (south of Anderson)

Yim Yam on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Been to this place once - something of a disaster. Too cramped for a busy Friday night, staff harried. As well, we ordered a dish marked with a single chilli emblem - and it was so flaming hot our bottoms were like a famous Johnny Cash song the next day. In fact, it was so hot as to be virtually inedible.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments! They're what make blogging worthwhile. Unfortunately, the amount of spam I get is obscene and it is so tiresome to have to moderate every comment, so I have had to turn on annoying word verification. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but please know how much I love you having your say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails