Sunday, January 24, 2010

Pho Tam

I love Footscray, but I am not a native West-Suburbian. I lived in Richmond from when I was 13 or so, for 12 years before moving West. They were great times. I worked at Dimmeys in the "Goodness Gracious Cafe", selling $2 pie and cuppachino deals, making up iced coffees from the big tin of International Roast Caterer's Blend under the counter. Later, gigs at the Corner, smoking in the band room, ending up at the Vine at 5am. I taught English to a Vietnamese woman in the North Richmond flats. Her whole extended family lived in the one tiny apartment it seemed, some on camp beds in the lounge room. They always wanted to feed me. I remember guiltily riding the lift to her floor, thinking about what treats they would make for me, when I should have been going over my lesson plan.

Nothing ties me to Richmond any more apart from my family, who still live there, and Thanh Thanh. I have tramped the length of Victoria St and eaten in almost every restaurant and Thanh Thanh consistently came out on top. (Xiao Ting Box was also a fave, but I have decided I am too old to eat at brazenly grotty places. At least attempt to hide the dirt, people!) But even Thanh Thanh's tenuous tie has now been snipped, with the discovery of Pho Tam.



I read about Pho Tam here, here and here. What a find. Firstly, I love that the menu has a few pictures, and the menu items have descriptions rather than just their title. When I first started eating Vietnamese food, I had no clue what the English "codes" for different delicious dishes were. How would you know that "Rare Beef with Lemon" means beef carpaccio with punchy herbs and crispy vegies? Or that the seemingly innocuous "Spicy Beef Noodle Soup" (Bun Bo Hue) may get you a spicy, oily soup brimming with offal? Lots of trial & error means I now know my "rice vermicelli" (Bun) from my "fine rice vermicelli" (Banh Hoi). Pho Tam's menu could cut out a lot of the heartache (and heartburn) of experimental ordering, and make you more adventurous too!

For comparison I had my fave, Bun Chao Tom, or "Sugar cane prawns with rice vermicelli". It is essentially kebabs of prawn mince on stripped sugarcane, which lend a complex sweetness to the prawn meat. This is served on top of a warm salad of rice vermicelli and crispy vegies, sprinkled with crispy bits of pork fat, and served with sweet fish sauce dressing. Pho Tam's version was sensational - more rustic than Thanh Thanh's, the prawn meat still on the sugarcane, with a real grilled flavour.





I had an iced coffee and was delighted at how it was served. See picture, but essentially the silver contraption above the glass is a mini coffee brewing machine. When it has finished dripping, you stir it up and add to the icy glass. Divine! The waitress was so friendly and willing to explain it all to me. I can't wait to go back and be more adventurous. Next visit to Pho Tam: unravelling the difference between the enigmatic "Egg noodle - soup or dried". They are certainly the right people to help me.

Pho Tam, Cnr Ryan & Leeds Sts, Footscray

Pho Tam on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

  1. Hi there! Thanks for coming back online and for sharing all the foodie wonders our little corner of the world has to offer. I've written up a short review and would love to send it to you - keep in mind it's my first one though,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christie, I would love to publish your review! The email address is footscrayfoodblog at gmail dot com. Anyone else like to contribute??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went here today Ms Baklover, and I LOVED it. Ordered the Pho Bo and the White Iced Coffee. Just recently got back from Vietnam - the coffee at Pho Tam is exactly the same as what I had over in Vietnam!! Pho equal best with what I have at Huong Vuong, just round the corner from here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emma - YAY!! I'm so glad!! I am also a huge Hung Vuong fan. I have neglected Pho Tam recently in favour of the new and the different, but I want to get back there soon (perhaps for the Pho Bo, yum yum).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pho Hung Vuong in Springvale for me. Have been dining there for the past 10 years. Has never disappointed me. Give it a try guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my favourite vietnamese in footscray! the pick of the menu for me is the mi quang, pork ribs and yellow noodle soup. kinda like this:
    http://www.theravenouscouple.com/2009/06/mi-quang-vietnamese-tumeric-noodles-from-quang-nam.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. After all this time I have just discovered this truly wonderful restaurant/cafe just brilliant.
    Loved the goat dish and really everything that I have had there. Gone to the top of my rounds at least until the next one.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments! They're what make blogging worthwhile. Unfortunately, the amount of spam I get is obscene and it is so tiresome to have to moderate every comment, so I have had to turn on annoying word verification. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but please know how much I love you having your say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails