Monday, April 5, 2010

(Tan) Truc Giang


Where do you go when you are starving and have only 15 minutes to eat and do a week's worth of shopping at the market?  Answer: Truc Giang in Leeds St.


If it weren't for the venetian blind in the top shot, you would see the veritable mountain of pickled vegies that is normally in the front window, ready for stuffing into your crunchy roll.  I got a hot tip that these guys did a special pork roll with grilled pork, so that was my pick.


I have eaten here before from the overflowing, colourful bain-marie, and it was good.  Speaking of which, don't let the whole bain-marie factor put you off.  Sure, it doesn't do the food any favours but it is a great way to try new things.  Instead of perusing a menu, wondering what X is, and then just going back to your old stand-bys for fear of disappointment, you can work backwards and see what catches your eye, then learn what it's called.


I am pretty sure that everything in the separate unit above is 100% vegetarian.  I forgot to ask because I was presented with this little beauty:


Mmm-mmh.  Mmm-HMH!  Dee-lishus.  Tender pork, lots of grilled flavour, a whisper of hoi sin and just the right amount of juicy fat.  Salad less refined than say, Nhu Lan - pickled carrot & radish  coarser, cucumber chopped rather than sliced - but still fantastic crunch and flavour.  Altogether a more rustic roll, which is a compliment in my book.  The baby in the Baby Bjorn didn't appreciate a head full of crumbs - but she'll cope.  And I got my shopping done in time.

(Tan) Truc Giang (map)
 36A Leeds St, Footscray
Phone: 9689 9509
Hours: Mon - Sat 8am - 8pm, closed Sun

Truc Giang on Urbanspoon

11 comments:

  1. Yeah you let that pork roll (and baby) know who's boss! I'm guessing the roll was off menu/specially made? I don't see anything like it in the bain marie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. do join www.ozbloggers.com and ping every time you blog a topic..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vee - it was specially made! I think "Thit Nuong" on the front of the shop means "BBQ pork". Phil from Last Appetite tipped me off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had the pork roll for lunch there today - absolutely fantastic. thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was on my way home from work, walked past but couldn't remember what you'd eaten. I just find it very difficult to order food from bain-maries! I'm trying to be braver, really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb - oh, they're not all bad! Just try and go at a busy time. I vastly prefer behind-the-counter bain-maries to ones where you serve yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the banh mi might be the goer there - the bain marie stuff wasn't that crash hot: http://12eaten.blogspot.com/2010/02/tan-truc-giang.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi cloudcontrol - oh no! I enjoyed what I had from the bain-marie a while ago - although perhaps more for the excitement factor of trying things I'd never seen nor heard of before. I think I had a Vietnamese curry, which was something new for me, and a stir fry with bitter melon, also another first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice blog. This is the best Vietnamese place in west. Pork roll is absolutely delicious plus try their diced beef with fried rice (yummmm). I live in North Carlton but visit Truc Giang at least once a month.

    Keep this good blog going:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anon, thank you very much! Tan Truc Giang has become a victim of my blog in that I am constantly trying new places rather than returning to old faves. I must remedy this soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments! They're what make blogging worthwhile. Unfortunately, the amount of spam I get is obscene and it is so tiresome to have to moderate every comment, so I have had to turn on annoying word verification. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but please know how much I love you having your say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails