Monday, May 24, 2010

Balut

Places and times of transition are imbued with a sense of trepidation and magic.  In literature, misty marshes and bogs often provide the setting for mysterious events, betwixt as they are between land and water.  The blurry light of dusk and dawn are portentous times where possibilities abound.  Clear-cut notions are safe and reassuring, like primary colours.  Meanwhile, a haze of ambiguity hovers around the margins of times, places, and ideas.  Some find this uncertainty ominous and unsettling, while others find it electrifying.

So much of what we eat is neatly packaged, both literally and metaphorically.  The divorce of plastic-wrapped supermarket food from its natural farmyard or forest state has been oft written about.  Many people also expect, even subconsciously, that food stay within certain parameters.  For example, carrots should be orange; tomatoes, red; and bananas curved, not straight.  Eggs should have brown shells, and any speck of blood within should be fastidiously picked out.

Balut, or fertilised duck eggs, are a "transition" food.  They contain a semi-formed duckling nestled within the yolk.  Neither egg in the Western sense, nor entirely duck.  Billy (cloudcontrol) had enticed me to a recent Melbourne food blogger meetup with the prospect of homemade bo kho and just casually dropped in that we would be having a balut starter.  Also known as hot vit lon in Vietnam, these eggs are enjoyed across Asia, but particularly in the Philippines as a snack after a night of drinking.  A sense of foreboding came over me as I gave in and googled "balut" late one night.  When does an egg become a duck?  At what point does eating an egg become eating meat?  Could I really eat such a thing - feathers, beak, gizzards, and all?


Eggs were purveyed from three corners of Melbourne - Springvale, Footscray, and Richmond.  Buyers were advised to find "middle stage" eggs.  I have seen these large white eggs before in Asian grocers, neatly stacked in trays and stamped with a red Chinese character, but had no idea what was lurking inside, curled and dormant.  Each egg was marked with an S, F, or R to denote its origin, and they were boiled for around 15 minutes.

About fifteen pairs of eyes - some dancing with curiosity, some wide with anticipation, some squeezed half-shut in terror - watched Billy as he brought a silver spoon down on the hollow end of an egg.  A veined membrane was revealed, and he sprinkled it with salt and pepper   Delicately he dipped his spoon in, brought out a creamy, quivering morsel, ate, and declared it good.  The spell was broken.  Round the table, bloggers and their friends tucked in, and the overwhelming mood was one of surprise, that fertilised duck eggs were actually yummy.


Moi?  Well, on preparing for this event, I talked to my dad, who has eaten balut (along with duck tongues, chicken's feet - I could go on).  He advised me it was just like a hard-boiled egg.  Phew, I thought - until I remembered the only three things in the world I cannot abide are offal, blue cheese, and hard-boiled eggs.  Their farty aroma and rubbery texture makes me retch.  I did have to walk away from the balut feast a few times and take a few gulps of fresh air.  But I did try some, and was amazed to find I liked it.  The yolk is extra creamy - perhaps being fertilised, it has kicked into being a placenta-like powerhouse of nutrients.  But the best was the broth that came off the top of the inner membrane.  Like the most piquant, balanced fish sauce, it was a revelation and absolutely divine.  I challenge anyone to try a spoonful and not agree.

Anh of A Food Lover's Journey, who is originally from Vietnam, talked about how, growing up, "egg" meant balut.  There was an awareness of the life cycle of the chicken or duck.  We have lost that in the West, at least among most city-dwellers.  In many situations where roosters and hens are not kept artificially separated, I imagine that it would be accepted that an egg gathered from the garden may be at any stage from unfertilised to ready-to-hatch.  I respect so much those food traditions that embrace the natural life cycle and habits of a bird, and see balut as a delicious bonus to an otherwise everyday food - the egg.


Fabulous things happen when foodies get invited to a pot luck.  Warming bo kho, fabulous fried noodles, crisp Vietnamese coleslaw, tangy Thai salad, and a luscious coconut, banana, and tapioca dessert.  (My canh recipe here.)  It was a perfect autumnal afternoon, and we whiled away the afternoon in Tammi's cosy backyard, in the glow of a warm fire and to the sounds of chickens gently clucking.


As I drank my wine and chatted with friends, both new and old (hi Daniela!), something was simmering within me.  In the balut battle between Footscray, Richmond and Springvale, Footscray got fried!  Our eggs sucked - they were old and had no tasty broth.  Our pride was poached!  Our coddled cred was crushed!  I vow to avenge my fair suburb in the upcoming blind banh mi battle.  Stay tuned!

Read about #balutfest at Celeste's Berry Travels.  I'll add more links if and when people post about the event :)

13 comments:

  1. If anyone wants to contribute food stories then pop over and have a look at http://www.plentyonyourplate.com we are a global citizen food journalism website. Will be great to see you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and it will good to meet you as well. Your bowl of canh was so good. LOVE! See you on my next eating event ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great post - and such a great day! I'm guessing it won't be as challenging, but I think we'll have just as much fun at the banh mi battles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only just discovered this blog...it's fantastic! Keep up the great work! Footsracy has the goods!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i went to melb last yr and my melbournian friend took me to footscray i love the area and i love this blog! x :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Plenty - I will look into it.

    penny - Thank you and likewise!

    cloudcontrol - Thank you! *blushes*

    Brad - thank you so much for the compliment!!!

    Betty - thank you too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm late to the party! Popping by to say , lovely lovely lovely to meet you at Balutfest, and your canh was so amazing I wanted to lick the bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Celeste, fashionably late of course! Thanks so much and it was awesome to meet you too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i tried balut in the philippines. locals told me to peel it open and eat it with your eyes shut which was good advice as this is one disturbing looking snack!
    I live in the 'cray too, but unfortunately have never witnessed any filipino cultural activities happening.
    an annual footscray fiesta- filipino style, would be a really exciting and lively event for the area.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Myf, a Footscray fiesta Filipino-style would be unreal! What I know about Filipino food could be written on the back of a postage stamp, and I really want to change that. Adrian at Food Rehab (www.foodrehab.com.au) sometimes has Filipino recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok Balut is where I draw the line I love Pinoy food but eating the embryo of a baby duck doesn't appeal to me at all. But each to their own I suppose.

    I am lucky to have a beautiful pinoy wife who makes the best pork adobo for me on a regular basis. Coming from a western background it took me some time to get used to some of the dishes on her menu but after 16 years of happy marriage I have come to love them all. (Except Balut) he he

    She keeps all her recipes online so we have a wide variety to choose from when we cook together. I hope someone else likes her wonderful selections :) http://coniescorner.blogspot.com.au/2008/08/pork-chicken-adobo-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, where could i try Balut in Footscray? Is there any restaurants in footscray that serve it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi anon, no restaurants that I know of sell it. The best place to buy is the chicken shop in Little Saigon that is tucked up next to the old IGA - kind of behind the fish shop.

      Delete

I love getting your comments! They're what make blogging worthwhile. Unfortunately, the amount of spam I get is obscene and it is so tiresome to have to moderate every comment, so I have had to turn on annoying word verification. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but please know how much I love you having your say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails