Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Filipino food at Chadz Chickenhaus

The Philippines are a truly unique part of Asia.  Colonised by the Spanish for over 400 years, Iberian culture has been indelibly infused onto a template already influenced by Chinese, Indonesian and Malay traders.  Many Filipinos have very Spanish-sounding names and Christianity is an integral part of the culture.  The cuisine comprises empanadas, vinegary adobo braises and European-style breads - yet pancit (fried noodles) are popular as well as lumpia, like spring rolls.

P1030964

There's a huge Filipino presence in the western suburbs.  In Sunshine, Chadz Chickenhaus (which sounds like a German restaurant run by an American frat boy) is actually the second branch of a Spanish-style chicken shop that also offers a range of traditional Filipino dishes (the original is in Werribee).

P1030952

If you don't know what you're looking for, Filipino food can sometimes be a little forbidding - lots of dark, mysterious braises in a bain marie.  At Chadz there are lots of lighter options and they are happy to explain everything to you.  From top left, we have pork hock, fish in a clear soup, pork blood stew, braised chicken and vegetables and braised beef.  From the bottom left, lovely-looking fried chicken drumsticks, white radish with minced beef, water spinach in a creamy sauce and pork chop.

P1030956

There's also great-looking butterflied chicken, a la Nando's, with chips if you like.  $10 will get you two choices with rice and your choice of drink.

P1030957

Halved eggplant with beef mince and egg, cooked to silkiness.  I think this is called rellenong talong.  It was quite mild in flavour but tasty, even better doused in lots of spicy vinegar available at the counter.

P1030960

This was a yummy fish cutlet, very fresh and quite firm, somewhat like mackeral.  I think it had been lightly fried before being served in delicious, lip-smacking stock.  The green veg were really good too.  It had bones and I was feeling wussy, so I mainly ate the stock and vegies.

P1030963
Empanada, $1.00

Flaky, super-short pasty filled with potato cubes, a little minced meat and other goodies like sultanas.  Chadz is connected to the Filipino grocery next door where, among other things, you can buy balut (instructions: "boil for 30 minutes") which are fertilised chicken eggs with a chicken embryo inside.

P1030955
Desserts for next time!

If Filipino food is new to you as it is to me, I think Chadz is a great place to start.  It's sparklingly clean, the food is very fresh and it's made with evident care.  They have batchoy, a clear soup with pork offal, noodles and crushed pork crackling from Thursday to Sunday.  Looking forward to heading there for the next lazy chicken and chip night, gravy or no gravy.

Thank you Clint via Facebook for the tip!  You can also check out Dahon Tea Lounge in South Melbourne for Filo-style baguettes and more.

Chadz Chickenhaus (Facebook)
475 Ballarat Road, Sunshine  
Hours:  Tues-Sun 11am-7pm


View Footscrayfoodblog reviews in a larger map

24 comments:

  1. Depending on the route we take on our school runs, we drive past this place frequently. Assumed it was a typical chicken shop! You'd think I'd know better by now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed - things are rarely what they seem in the western suburbs, aren't they? :)

      Delete
  2. The dessert on the right hand side is called Brazo De Mercedes. It is to die for! Meringue on the outside and a Dulce De Leche-ish kind of filling. I haven't tried this place yet but when my family makes it it's one of my favorites. A must try.

    The green vegetable in the creamy sauce is called Laing. It is tradionally made from dried taro leaves, shrimp paste, coconut milk, banana hearts and chilli. It doesn't look too appealing but when made right it is something very unique, in a good way. One of my favorites too :)

    If you need any assistance with Filipino food im always happy to help :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops i meant the dessert on the left hand side :) Long day at work hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marine, you're a gem! I will be calling on your expertise for sure. The Brazo De Mercedes sounds absolutely unmissable!

      Delete
  4. Ooh! It's great to see Filipino food featured here! I've been following your blog for some time, waiting for the day I get to visit Melbourne again and check out all your recommendations! I probably won't be hankering for Filipino food by then, but I'm keeping this in mind in case I start to miss it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi nina - several Filipino places have been on my wishlist forever; I'm so glad I made it to Chadz. Glad you enjoy reading the blog!

      Delete
  5. Certainly hardly see Filipino food places in Melbourne. Seeing all the food in Bain Marie reminds me of Singapore Economical Rice! I have been to Manila before, and can't remember how the food was like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there aren't many and those that are are tucked away. Sometimes I like bain maries like this. From a menu with only printed words, it's very hard to get an image of what you might like, but seeing it all there is fantastic.

      Delete
  6. Wotttttt... Didn't know they sold Balut in Melbourne haha. Now that I do, I think I know what I'm going to get the groom to do next time I'm attending a bucks lol. Filipino cuisine is still really new to me, and it sounds like this place would be a fantastic place to experience it and all its authenticity. Nice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are in most Asian grocers in Footscray as well! There's a bubble tea place in Footscray that used to sell them too - maybe even cooked. If you search for it on my blog, you can see the balut-eating meetup we did a long time ago now. Yes, I'm a bit of a newbie to Filipino but look forward to exploring more.

      Delete
  7. Dude......... you need to order the charcoal chicken next time. Half a chicken and chips and dine in. Trust me. This place has changed my perception of what is charcoal chicken. I know I'm overhyping but seriously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOTED. AS IN, 100%, DROOLING-RIGHT-NOW, NOTED. Excited!!

      Delete
  8. Hi Lauren, so glad you made it to Chadz and thanks for the shout out! : ) I'm sorry I totally forgot that they had a sister restaurant in Sunshine which is alot closer to you than Werribee!……My favourite dishes from Chadz are Palabok, Dinuguan & Laing (Marine is right, it looks a bit grose but is delicious!) Their Filipino-style BBQ Chicken is all about the Marinade…..so good!!!…..You must also try the Leche Flan (Creme Caramel) which they also do in a Ube/Purple Yam and a Pandan version, I have heard their Halo-Halo is very nice too!…..Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PANDAN FLAN?! *head explodes* Yum, Clint! Thanks for all the tips. Dinuguan... you are hardcore! (that's the blood stew, everyone). Is palabok the rice vermicelli with orange sauce? I think I had that at Dahon once. Looking forward to more Filipino foodie adventures soon.

      Delete
  9. haha……I haven't tried the Pandan Flan yet cos I love their Ube Flan too much!….yes I love Dinuguan, Balut, Durian and anything else thats funky!….yes Palabok is the Rice Vermicelli dish with Shrimp sauce…..today I had their La Paz Batchoy (Pork Noodle Soup) and it was so good!…….beautiful soup and very tender pieces of pork bits with crushed pork crackling on top!…..I also ate their Sisig and it was delicious as well!…..next time I will try their Arroz Caldo (Congee w/Ginger)…..I can't wait to get down to Dahon as well! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you tried their BBQ chicken yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet but SOON I HOPE! Waiting for an excuse; this rainy weather could be it!

      Delete
  11. Going Back some time the Ric Shaw Run, i am a local of Footscray and have been for some years 11+ I just love the place moving hear from Coolaroo(Broady)-Diggers rest, Ascot Vale, Carnegie and Footscray i would never move anywhere else until i retire at Avoca Victoria.
    Just love the place......
    Scotty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have driven past this place plenty of times thinking it is a chicken and chip shop. Little did I know they sold authentic Filipino food. You select the food from the Bain Marie and have it with rice. Being a Filipino myself my favorite is Kare Kare which consist of beef in a peanut butter based sauce with veggies eaten with shrimp paste!! Went on a Sunday morning and it was a full house, filled with Filipinos which is a good sign. Service is slow so be patient.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They do also have butterflied chicken for sale which I have not tried yet. It looked sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As a Filipino, it warms my heart to see local Australians trying out and enjoying Filipino food. Considering that this is still new territory for you (and maybe many others), I think another good start for you to try Filipino food is at the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival this year.

    “Ihaw,” as Filipinos call it, is an integral part not only of their childhood, but of their lifetime. The term is the Filipino translation for barbecue, a culinary gift to all of mankind. Filipino Barbie has now landed on the vast lands of Australia, and I urge Australian locals to dive in to this scene, for which Filipino food is known and loved for. For the first time, Filipino Barbie is officially a part of the prestigious Melbourne Food and Wine Festival. Discover this Filipino culinary flair at the William Angliss Restaurant on March 7 and 9, 2014 at 7pm. For more information, visit http://facebook.com/filipinobbq. Be part of the Filipino Barbie phenomenon happening in Melbourne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, that sounds delicious! Unfortunately I'm running the Rickshaw Run on those dates. Hopefully there will be a similar event down the track!

      Delete

I love getting your comments! They're what make blogging worthwhile. Unfortunately, the amount of spam I get is obscene and it is so tiresome to have to moderate every comment, so I have had to turn on annoying word verification. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but please know how much I love you having your say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails